Resources to accompany A Personal Guide to a Career in the Mental Health Field, by Gary E. Bloom
Marriage and Family Therapists
- During my research on counseling professions, Psychotherapy Notes is the only good MFT blog I found. California still dominates the MFT landscape, and that's this blog's focus. Ben Caldwell writes original material, provides links to resources, and sells his own books.
- There are two large professional MFT organizations: The American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (AAMFT), and the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists (CAMFT). The AAMFT played a big role in getting the MFT license in all 50 states. Currently, it’s trying to stay relevant, but I don’t find it useful, any longer. (As of 2016, I did not renew my membership.) Obviously, if you’re outside California, CAMFT won’t be relevant.
Mental Health Counselors
- The website for becoming certified by the National Board for Certified Counselors. Most states use this certification as a guide for state licensing.
- The American Counseling Association is focused on clinical issues.
- Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM)
- You won't find much counseling-related information at NASW, but it's the national association.
- NASW Newsletter
- The New Social Worker: the Social Worker Careers Magazine
- HIPAA Resources
- There are many weighty psychology blogs that focus on research into the mind, and on particular specialties within the discipline. As a lightweight window into the field, especially useful for those who have only an inkling about psychology, nothing is better than Kendra Cherry's psychology blog at about.com.
- Nothing duller than professional associations. Here's the one for psychologists. American Psychological Association (APA).
- American Psychoanalytic Association
- Evidenced-based practices
- David Allen writes the Family Dysfunction Blog. I don't agree with everything he writes, but he's thoughtful, intelligent, and respectful.
- Maria Yang is the rare psychiatrist I'd have a beer with. She works in difficult environments and really cares.
- Unfortunately, Chris Ballas isn't the last psychiatrist, he just writes the blog of the same name. He has a huge following, is incredibly brainy, but doesn't write that much about psychiatry. Mostly, he posts very long articles on narcissism (always interesting), thinly disguised libertarian opinions (less so), and long TV, movie, and book reviews (good, but if I wanted to that long a diversion, I'd read War and Peace).
- If you want the conventional psychiatrists' side of the story: shrink wrap
- The American Psychiatric Association.
- NIMH President on Transforming diagnosis.
- In bed with Big Pharma.
- anti-psychiatry movement.
Credentials — Grad School
- Psychology Grad school picker
- Grad School picker
- APA Grad school resource
- APA approved doctoral programs
- Twenty-five MSW programs from major universities.
- Board of Behavioral Sciences listing of MFT programs
- GradSchools.com listing of MFT programs
- Accredited MFT programs in California
- Washington State Psychologist License requirements
- California School of Professional Psychology
- Pay scale for psychologists
- Pay scale for MFTs
- MFT California training programs
- AAMFT national exam
- Professional Counselors national exam
Credentials — License and Practicum Laws
- Ben Caldwell, MFT, on state license portability
- Nationally accredited masters program listings:COAMFTE, CACREP, COA
- Ich bin ein Berliner
- Evidenced-based therapy
- Milton Erickson, MD
- Robert Suczek
- Solution Focused Based Therapy.
- Mental Research Institute of Pablo Alto
Records and Privacy
- Protected Health Information (PHI)
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)
- Flowcharts to determine if you're a covered entity. Page 4 is for practitioners.
- HIPAA covered entities
- Decision tree to determine whether a service requires a Business Associates Agreement (BAA).
- HIPAA compliant practice managment services for billing and record keeping that serve individual practices: Simple Practice and Therasoft
- Sookasa supplies a self-serving but still worthwhile information resource for HIPAA compliance
- Apple instructions for turning on MacOS encryption
- Microsoft instructions for turning on Windows 10 encryption
- Android encryption instructions for those with a B.S. in electrical engineering from M.I.T.
- Android encryption instructions for those with a Ph.D. in electrical engineering from M.I.T. (Disclosure: I own Apple stock.)
- Wireless router security
- Securely erasing files on MacOS
- Carbonite for Office
- Email Pros
- Google applications compliance
- Google's Business Associates Agreement
Evidence Based Practice
- Is advertising a psychotherapy as “evidence supported,” any less vacuous than “Pepsi’s the one”?
- evidence-based medicine
- Gaming the system in research for both medications and counseling is standard operating procedure.
- In the bizarre world of psychiatry, every day is opposite day, so decades of failed research has lead to the foregone conclusion that depression is caused by a genetic predisposition.
How to Suck as a Counselor
The Psychotherapy of Doc Martin, by Dr. Rachel Timoney
For questions: contact me at email@example.com